Instagram!

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

My 2 cents of Huck's Cafe.

This post is long overdue. But I need to do it because my friends told me so and I feel that it is appropriate for me to speak out since I am one of the customer of the famous private kitchen, Huck's Cafe. We had Manda's Bridal Shower at this place, suggested by Hooi. I researched this place online and found it has a fair share of positive reviews from quite a few food bloggers. Judging from their Facebook's photos, the food had me salivating.

Huck's Cafe is not any ordinary restaurant. It is a private kitchen in a huge bungalow located in a private residential are. You have to make your order of a 3 course meal few days earlier through the phone and you also have to pay a certain amount of deposit to secure your order. With such hassle and great reviews, we all turned up to that place with high anticipation and expectation.

And we were crushed.


Appetizer : Mushroom soup
Decent. I've tasted better, even Dome's mushroom soup scores better.


Main course 1 : Cordon Bleu Apples
This was my main course of choice. I picked this because I LOVE cordon bleu, melting cheese wrapped with ham and chicken, mm mm!!!! Furthermore this was paired with apples, I thought it will taste cheesy and sweet. But I was so disappointed. The chicken was over baked, the texture of the chicken became too soft or shall I say "lam pet". The cheese inside wasn't melting and it was chunky, felt sandy and sticky like wet sand. The apples were soft like it has been exposed to air for a day.


Main course 2 : Cottage Lamb Stew Pie
This was Kelle's order. According to her, she said hers tasted the best. I don't know, since I don't eat lamb I didn't bother to taste it. But looking at her eating habit, anything and everything can taste good to her =___=



Main course 3 : Parmigiana Chicken Mushroom
Paige ordered this. When we asked her for her opinion, she gave us the WTF face. She didn't even finish the potato.


Main course 4 : Sealed with a Kiss
This is the most ordered dish. 3 of them ordered the same thing. All sorts of mushroom cooked together with chicken. Hooi complained that there were not even a slice of chicken inside, maybe there was but probably it was too tiny she couldn't even taste it. When I asked her if she thinks it's good, she gave me that =___= face and shook her head. Sharon even had diarrhea after that, LOL! Mushroom poisoning!


Desserts
I thought the main course might suck, but they can't go wrong with the dessert *face palm* Indeed they failed my expectation again and again. With the amount of money they charged me, I assume the quality of the ice-cream will be slightly more exquisite like Haagen-Dazs. If not, probably Bens & Jerry's or Baskin Robbins? But it tasted more like the ice-cream you get at the all-you-can-eat buffet.

After bashing about their food, let me bash about their staff too. When we reached the place, we were not greeted and I was standing at the entrance dumbfounded. I didn't know who to ask because it was a bungalow and there was no reception area until I approached someone.

Later that night, Eeva came to join us but she wasn't eating because she went to a party earlier. She just dropped by to hang out with us. Because the place does not welcome walk in guests, the staff approached me and said we were not allowed to have extra people other than the amount of pax I had mentioned in the booking. I told the staff my friend was just sitting here and she was not going to eat. Then he said something that made me want to smack the plate on his face. "It is not fair for other customers to see you could bring extra people while they can't". WTF!!!! Like as though other people know how many pax I've booked and like as though they keep their eyes on us the whole night and know how many of us and how each of us look like!!!! Like as though if they see a non-familiar face at our table they will lodge a complain! I was so fumed I told him off, "So do you want me to chase my friend away now?!" He then said it's alright for this time but not to do again in the future.

I'm aware that other places, especially in Paris, they have this kind of rules in restaurants. But for fuck sake, this is a private kitchen in Malaysia, don't act all classy and arrogant. Rest assured, there will be no future because I'm not coming back again. Not because of your rules, but because your food sucks balls.



Since there are so many people raving about this place, I will be expecting hate emails or comments to bash about my negativity towards Huck's Cafe. But I seriously don't understand what's the hoo-ha of this place. Probably they were paid or given free meal to write nice comments about them so they can con people like me to pay so much money to eat their gibberish.

Bad food aside, luckily we managed to take pretty photos because I came out with a cute dress code and theme for the bridal shower. Tuxedo girls with the bride! I should become a party planner instead.









Thanks to Sharon for beautifying the tiara. My guy colleague helped me to get the tiara from a party shop and I was shocked to see the choice he made. Bejewels in red, blue and green donning the gold tiara. I was like O____O ||| Sharon hand painted each blings with her Chanel white nail polish and transformed the ah neh neh looking tiara to a glamorous looking tiara!

Photos of us fooling around with the props, LOL!!!!

Sharon got proposed!

Getting married with the veil down!

1 minute later, she was divorced. LOL!

Ghost bride.


1 comment:

  1. wf wf this was actually on my list of restaurants to try.. i still wanted to give it a go despite your less than satisfactory reviews.. UNTIL I got to the part where the staff actually said it was not fair for other customers if your friend gets to come in. Like hello WHAT kind of briefing or answers are the waiters there trained to give? Mediocre food I can still put it down to the chef having a bad day (maybe his fave oven broke down so he couldnt cook properly), lousy incompetent frontliners is something which doesnt change- especially if they do not have common sense.

    Definitely NOT trying this place out. tskkk

    ReplyDelete