Instagram!

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Meet the in-laws.

I've promised to blog about the dowry day. After procrastinating for weeks, here it goes!

According to Mama Alvin's superstitious belief, having 6 or 18 people to send the dowry will bring good luck and prospect to our marriage. So she wanted the whole family to drive back to my hometown to meet my whole family O_o!!! Can you imagine the horror?! I already had cold feet worrying about his parents meeting my father, now the whole clan! Ain't gonna spill about my dad's condition, but he is definitely not a friendly and approachable person. Imagine dinosaur or lion.

Had a smooth journey back and reached Ipoh in just 1.5 hour. Upon reaching my house, I was shocked to see my father walked out to greet us. Then something SUPER FUNNY happened! Alvin's family parked their car further away so there were only me and Alvin at the front gate. Coincidentally there were also an elderly couple walking towards our direction, my father misunderstood that they were Alvin's parents and walked up to them! Shaking hands, patting shoulder and asked "How are you Mr Soi? Welcome to our house!" Me, mom and Alvin was like...

Ya, this is exactly how we looked like.

The uncle shook my father's hand back and said "Oh I'm fine, I'm just here looking for my friend *pointing at my neighbour's house and walked away*" ..........

I cannot describe the gravity of my embarrassment at that moment.

During the dowry exchange, I was so nervous I kept scratching my hand and couldn't stand still but walked up and down like a lost puppy. My father even suggested to go out for lunch together! That was like the first time ever! I could see the nervousness in my mom's face during lunch. But thank God my father behaved himself and all well ends well =)


The must have for dowry, roasted pig. I felt bad for
the poor pig =(

Even pigs have blackheads, tsk tsk tsk.

Oink! Oink!

My aunt and uncle came to cheer up the atmosphere,
just in case anything happens ~_~

Now you know where my camwhore genes came from.

 Notice that everyone wore red? I got sounded for wearing black T__T Didn't know I need to be "ong" during dowry day too!

Like any other wedding tradition, the groom will send boxes of wedding biscuits as one of the dowry and the bride's family will distribute them to relatives and friends. My wedding biscuits are a bit special because they came with a mini card! ^^ Mom wanted me to do a card to inform the relatives about our wedding dates since we won't be having wedding banquet. Everyone said the card is sho cute!

The biscuits are super yummy! BOO to those people who didn't want the biscuits! One in lotus paste (yellow) and another one in red bean (pink). The crust is so thin and the filling is so thick! SUPER YUMMY!

Wedding biscuit with the notice card!

All packed and ready to be shipped out to friends
and relatives! 200 boxes in total!

The leaves represents good things come in layers and layers according to Mama Alvin's superstitious belief.

Mom packing the boxes into plastic bags and drove out straight to send
them to relatives. So bersemangat!

Forced by me to help out with the packing.

Instead of the normal "fatt gou", my mom
custom make one for the wedding dowry.

Me with the giant size custom made wedding biscuit,
for Mama Alvin's praying offering to the ancestors.

That's all for the dowry process. It was certainly a nerve wrecking and gan jeong boosting event. Trust me, planning the wedding might be enjoyable, discounting the in-laws meeting =_=

No comments:

Post a Comment